Friday, March 14, 2008

Kate's Family Tree; Montagues and Capulets


I'd like to preface my latest crackpot Lost theory with a few word about Shakespeare, who I like to call "Shakes." The name Kate was used by Shakes in the Taming of the Shrew, in which Petruchio schemed to marry and tame Katerina (and succeeded). In one of the most recent Lost installments, we saw a new Dharma station, The Tempest, which is a chemical weapons plant that can kill everyone on the island. Also a Shakes reference.

Now to segue into crackpot theory: their are two families on the island. The Montagues and the Capulets, basically. Lost is all about opposites - black and white. One family is good, the other bad.

The first indication that their were family ties on the island was when Christian was revealed to be Claire's father, making her and Jack half-siblings.

I think we will soon learn that Kate's mother, Diane, IS ANNIE. I will submit into evidence, exhibit A) Harper says "you look just like her." We have confirmation from the pop-up show that she was referring to Annie, as I suspected. Here are she and Juliet:


Hmm. Blond hair, blue eyes, overly tweezed brow, high cheekbone. The cheekbone I will submit as exhibit B) Annie, as a child, had an exceptionally high cheekbone which I also noticed in Diane.



I will submit into evidence exhibit C) Annie has lots of freckles. So many that one, if one were the type to nickname people, might call her "freckles." So above is the family tree: Annie and Ben -- yes, I said Ben -- beget Kate.

Remember that Kate's mother never confirmed Wayne was her father. Kate assumed that because she found evidence Mr. Austen was not in her life until a year after she was born. These both do much to prop up my theory that Annie left the island with child to hide from Ben. That's also why she changed her name to Diane, a meme for Die-Ann, as in Annie is dead. She may have even faked her death so Ben could not find her.

But, once again, I have disproved one of my own theories, which is bound to happen when you're on the sharpest end of the cutting edge. That theory being that Thomas was Annie's hidden child.

So the two big families are Ben's line and Christian Shepard's line. We've seen both of these patriarchs in Jacob's cabin. Ben's line is Kate. Christian's line is Jack, Claire, and Aaron. Ben's line is bad, Christian's line is good. Which is why Kate steals Aaron.

No comments: